Special Event Permit

Why do I Need a Special Event Permit?

The purpose of the Special Event Application is to ensure events that take place in the City of Rochester are as safe and well-organized as possible for the protection of all those who attend.

All Applications will be reviewed by each of the City's Departments, and final approval will be given by the City Council. During the process, if you have any questions, please contact the Chief of Police.

If you are interested in holding a special event, please read and fill out the Application carefully. Submit the completed application to the Chief of Police.

The City of Rochester looks forward to working with you and hopes that your event is successful and safe.

When do I need a Special Event Permit?

Organized activities held on public property such as the examples listed below.
  • Fair, concert, carnival, festival, or other similar activity.
  • An activity taking place on a designed route on the public right of way (sidewalk/street), park or other city open space.
  • Fun run, bike or foot race, parade, walk-a-thon or other similar activity.
  • An event open to the public which utilizes temporary structures such as tent and/or trailers, etc.

Do I Need a Special Events Permit for the Kiwanis and Lion's Shelters?

Rochester residents may reserve the Kiwanis and Lion’s Shelters in the Municipal Park. Reservations are handled under separate permit available from City Hall. A Special Event Application may not be required depending on the scope of the event that is planned.